Members of any society must comply with certain obligations and responsibilities in order to enjoy the benefits that come with inclusion. Belonging to a community is a privilege, and members of the community have a right to some expectations of their peers. Below is the Virtual Assistant Code of Ethics and Excellence we at the Virtual Assistance Chamber of Commerce expect from our members. We feel they stand for the highest ideals of honor and dignity in our profession. Please feel free to post them on your site (including the backlink) to show clients what you stand for.
To My Clients, I promise that…
- I will accurately represent what my practice is capable of in all marketing, advertising and promotional materials.
- I will accurately represent my skills, recognizing my limitations and only offering professional services that I feel competent to provide.
- I will inform prospective clients of any conditions that I am aware of that could limit my effectiveness.
- I will place each client’s best interest first and foremost, making reasonably certain that I have the necessary skills and resources to provide the support needed before entering into a client relationship.
- I will clearly communicate the terms and conditions of any client relationship, identifying the responsibilities of all parties, and documenting these provisions in a signed agreement.
- I will honor my contracts, agreements and commitments.
- I will only make commitments that are within my power and abilities to deliver.
- I will accept responsibility for all work I do, admit mistakes and do whatever is possible to rectify any problems that arise.
- I will maintain the highest level of professionalism, and refrain from misrepresenting any authority entrusted to me.
- I will maintain accurate and sufficient records of all client work.
- I will safeguard and protect all private and confidential information entrusted to me or obtained in the course of any working relationship.
- I will not release any client information without prior consent or unless given instruction or permission by client to do so on his or her behalf.
- I will ensure that electronic and hardcopy record disposal is handled in a confidential and secure manner.
- I will serve as an effective professional representative of my clients when asked to do so, and do everything within my power to protect the interest of my clients at all times.
To My Colleagues, I promise that…
- I will enter the VACOC community only if my professional background and skill levels meet VACOC standards of minimum qualification for Virtual Assistance.
- I will be honest and accurate about my credentials, and not exaggerate, embellish or fabricate my professional history or competencies.
- I will not intentionally partake in any activity, especially libel or slander, that could damage the professional reputation of another Virtual Assistant.
- I will make every effort to exercise due diligence in naming my business to ensure I am not infringing upon the legal trademark rights of another VA’s established, pre-existing business name use. If such infringement occurs, I will immediately take steps to remedy the situation upon notification.
- I will not engage in copyright infringement or theft of any other VA’s intellectual property.
- I will not engage in unfair business trade practices.
- I will not steal clients from another Virtual Assistant.
- I will be accepting of others’ opinions, values, beliefs and acknowledge they are as valid as my own.
- I will not use any confidential information gained through my professional association with colleagues for personal benefit of any sort.
To the Virtual Assistance Profession, I promise that…
- I will exercise and uphold the highest ideals of professional competence, quality and excellence in business.
- I will utilize my knowledge and abilities to strengthen public awareness and understanding of the Virtual Assistance profession. This will include sharing my expertise with other professional Virtual Assistants to help build and maintain standards, professional image and consistency in the Virtual Assistance profession.
- I will not engage in any activity or practice that would bring the profession into disrepute.
- I will not take on any work I consider illegal or immoral.
- I will diligently exercise integrity, truth and rigorous honesty in all areas relating to my business and professional responsibilities.
- I will not tolerate crooked practices in the industry, and will not condone or perpetuate unethical conduct by remaining silent or turning a blind eye. Dishonesty and corruption flourish only when we allow it.
- I will acquire and maintain professional competence, and continue to expand my professional knowledge and technical skills.
- I will know and respect existing laws pertaining to professional work and business.
To Myself, I promise that…
- I will do everything in my power to honor my value and worth as a human being and skilled professional.
- I will only do work that I enjoy so that I never “work” another day in my life.
- I will always do my best, as doing my best not only benefits clients and reflects well on the profession, it gives me confidence, satisfaction and self-worth.
- I will work only with my ideal clients. When I work with those who value and appreciate my services and skills, the positivity our relationship creates for one another also makes the world a better place.
- I will strive to do good as I do well.